Mundelein is a village in Lake County, Illinois, in the United States. It is approximately thirty-five miles northwest from Chicago. In July 1918, Archbishop George Mundelein (later Cardinal) of Chicago purchased the property formerly owned by Sheldon’s school. For about $10 million (1918 dollars), construction of St. Mary’s of the Lake Seminary began in 1921. This seminary is still in operation, and is the largest in the United States.
On December 10, 1924, the Village Board held a special meeting with representatives from the Soo Line Railroad, who requested that the board change the village’s name to Mundelein (for the cardinal). The board voted to make the change and asked the Illinois Secretary of State to make the name change. They received permission in April 1925, and the Village Board passed an ordinance changing the village’s name to Mundelein. Cardinal Mundelein donated the village its first new fire truck, a 1925 Stoughton. The fire truck was officially turned over to the village at a ceremony held at the St. Mary of the Lake Seminary on July 17, 1925. The current Village Hall, with a few additions, is the same structure today that was built in 1929.
Mundelein Community Connection, a non-profit, downtown promotional organization, which is supported by, and works closely with, the Village staff, provides a variety of exciting community events throughout the year including a Craft Beer Festival, Farmers Market, Car Cruise Nights, Summer Concerts in the Park, “One World” Cultural Festival, Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony, and Santa’s Cottage.
The award-winning Mundelein Park and Recreation District provides park and recreational services, second to none. 33 neighborhood parks are conveniently located throughout the Village to serve thousands of residents year round. The jewels of the park system include: Barefoot Bay Water Park, Steeplechase Golf Course, Parkview Health and Fitness Center, the Mundelein Senior Center, Diamond Lake Beach, Community Park, bicycle trails with access to a beautiful county forest preserve system, and the Fort Hill Heritage Museum.