Hawthorn Woods is a village in Fremont and Ela townships in Lake County, Illinois, United States. The village is located approximately 40 miles northwest of downtown Chicago. Hawthorn Woods was officially incorporated in 1958. Major transportation arteries include Midlothian Road, Old McHenry Road, Algonquin Road, Halfday Road, and the Elgin, Joliet and Eastern Railway. The new Hawthorn Woods Country Club, whose golf course was designed by golf professional Arnold Palmer, is located within the village’s perimeter.
Hawthorn Woods, previously inhabited by the Potawatomi tribe. After the famous Treaty of Chicago (1833) which brought thousands of Native Americans in the Midwest to cede their lands. Yankee farmers would later claim this land, the area became a popular destination for both German and Dutch immigrants. The Lake County Discovery Museum, Cuneo Museum & Gardens, and the Fort Hill Heritage Museum are all accessible in Hawthorn Woods.