Window treatments are an important part of any home. Not only do they help you express your style, but they can also serve a functional purpose. Finding the right window treatments for your home can be a challenge as there are so many different types to choose from. And not all treatments are suitable for all windows. Let’s take a look at what window treatments can do for you, the available types, and how to pick the ones that will be best for your home.
Know what kind of windows you have
The first thing to determine is the kind of windows you have. What are the sizes, shapes, and styles of the windows? Where are they located? Are they floor-to-ceiling? You should also consider how the window opens. The most common windows you’ll encounter include:
- Sliding windows – These slide from side to side and are often used for porch doors.
- Casement windows – These windows open like a door, are attached to a frame and have a hinge on one side.
- Single- and double-hung windows – These slide up and down and are the most common type.
- Awning windows – These windows have a hinge at the top and open out from the bottom.
If you want to change the style of your windows, you may get in touch with a window replacement contractor who can help determine the best type of windows to install in your home.
Purpose of the window treatment
Next, determine how you want your window treatments to function. What purpose will they serve? Some of the things you should consider include:
- Privacy – One of the most important functions of window treatments is to provide privacy.
- Blocking light – Another important function is to block light, especially in a south-facing room.
- Style – Window treatments can enhance your home’s style and refresh a living space.
Options for window treatments
There are so many types of window treatments to choose from it can be difficult to know where to begin. That’s why it’s crucial to know the kind of windows you have and the purpose of the window treatments. It can help you narrow down the wide array of available choices. The most common styles you’ll find include:
- Curtains – These are typically made of lightweight material and usually serve more of an aesthetic purpose than a practical one.
- Drapes – Drapes are heavier than curtains and often have an additional lining. They are great for creating privacy and blocking out light.
- Blinds – Blinds are made from individual slats of harder materials such as metal, bamboo, wood, or vinyl. They are a great choice for helping to regulate how much light enters a room. There are many types of blinds including Venetian blinds, vertical blinds, and panel blinds.
- Shades – Shades are usually made of fabric and come in many types including roller shades, motorized shades, woven shades, roman shades, and cellular shades.
- Valances – Valances are often paired with another type of window treatment, such as blinds, shades, or curtains. They are mainly decorative and help to hide the curtain rod.
Consider going cordless
Finally, many window treatments come with cords – but you should know that those cords can be a choking hazard, especially for small children and pets. If you have kids or pets in your home, then you should consider purchasing cordless window treatments which are now widely available.
Compliments of Virtual Results